Have you ever experienced a state in which there is darkening of inner thighs?
Sometimes this happen without any explanation.
It can also happen to anyone.
The condition doesn’t depend on any skin tone type.
While you may worry about experiencing something like this, the fact is it happens because your skin is producing too much of what we call melanin.
Melanin is the pigmentation which gives the skin its color.
When this happens, the instance is what we call ‘hyperpigmentation’.
The discoloration of your inner thighs is usually in the bikini area and it can spread onto the groin area also.
So what causes this condition to happen? What are the ways to prevent it and some amazing home remedies which will make a difference.
I am going to be discussing this all with you in this blog post.
So let’s start:
Causes of Dark Inner Thighs
You will likely be suffering due to this condition due to some or more of the following causes.
The good thing to know is that many of the reasons you will suffer from this are benign.
This means it is not specifically harmful or dangerous to your health.
But it is good to know what the causes and reasons can be.
See if you are suffering from any of these:
- Having dry skin is a major cause. This also means you feel irritation and often scratch between the legs.
- Having too much of sun can impact the way pigmentation happens.
- If you are walking in the summer or hot weather and your thighs are rubbing against one another a lot. This is also when you are exercising, you will likely get darkening of inner thighs.
- There is a skin pigment condition called acanthosis nigricans which can also cause you to have this state. For this it is best that you speak to your skin specialist to know more about it.
- Using certain medications leads to hyperpigmentation. Wearing too tight clothes is a usual cause. Especially those who like to work out in spandex. Avoid that
- Hormonal imbalance is also a reason. This happens often as a side effect in pregnant or lactating women. Those who are also menstruating will also be suffering from this as well as those who have a hormonal condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
- If someone is going through chemotherapy, they will likely also fall into this condition.
- Diabetes Mellitus is also a common condition which causes this hyperpigmentation to happen.
Who is Likely to Suffer?
A common concern many have is who can suffer from this state? If you look into the cases chart, you will see that the people who are obese have more chances to suffer from darkening inner thighs.
This is usually because of the state called skin chafing.
Also women who are suffering from hormonal imbalance will likely suffer from this state.
Diabetes Mellitus is also a leading trigger of this condition. As well as the condition menopause.
Whatever is causing you to suffer from hyperpigmentation, know that it is not harmful to your health.
So now that you know of the causes and the major risk factors, I wanted to talk about ways to prevent it.
While it is not usually possible for you to prevent this condition from happening, there are still in which you can limit the chances of it happening in severity.
For that, you can try out these simple tactics and practice them early on in your life:
- Try to maintain a healthy weight by keeping a good check on your diet and exercising regime.
- When it comes to shaving, it is best that you don’t shave that area as often. When you do so, it causes irritation and can lead to your skin becoming even more dull, triggering hyperpigmentation.
- It is best that you adapt a habit of wearing loose fitting clothes. This helps to reduce the friction between your tightly fitted clothing and skin.
- When you have a really good skin care routine, it leads to lower chances of hyperpigmentation.
- While it is important that you use sunscreen often, know that having a sun protection factor which goes above 30 is also a leading source of hyperpigmentation.
- Do not get tempted into scratching and rubbing of the area between your legs.
Now let’s get into some of the major ways in which you can turn the situation around. Try out these home remedies that do help in certain cases.
Home Remedies for Lightening of Dark Thighs
So basically this is what you can do when you have dark inner thighs already.
As I already said, it is not usually possible to turn the situation around completely, but you can still try a few home remedies which will help you in your situation to control the darkening of inner thighs.
Here are some of the best ways in which you can try to lighten the darker inner thighs.
Coconut oil is one of the best ways to get the effects of moisturizing. It also helps to keep your thighs very soft and also makes them supple.
When you combine this oil with a little of lemon juice, it works great to treat the effects of hyperpigmentation.
This is because the Vitamin C works great as a scrub.
So how you can apply the effects of this combination, is by using a few tablespoons of coconut oil and adding with it some lemon juice.
You can then rub this mixture onto the darker inner thighs.
It works great if you massage the area for 10 minutes or even longer.
Once done, you can then wash the area off to avoid any irritation.
Another effective way to treat this condition is by using oatmeal. This natural superfood is a really good exfoliator.
You can use oatmeal with yogurt to gain maximum benefits.
Did you know that yogurt has lactic acid?
This helps to improve the heath of your skin. So how do you combine both to gain the best benefits- by creating your own scrub.
So how can you make it:
First you need to make a paste and make use of equal amounts of both oatmeal and plain yogurt.
Then you should apply this paste on the area which has hyperpigmentation.
You will then apply it and use it as a scrub and rub it gently on your thighs.
Leave it on your skin for a few more minutes and then wash the mixture off your legs.
Baking Soda to Control Darkening of Inner Thighs
Did you know that baking soda is one of the most effective elements which help to lighten the inner thighs.
It also works great as an exfoliation.
But saying that, baking soda is a really strong agent.
You should use it with complete caution.
It can actually be very harsh for your skin.
You can have strong irritation of the skin and this can lead to the worsening of skin conditions.
So how do you apply this onto your skin. Create this paste:
- You will make a paste by using equal amounts of baking soda and water.
- Then apply a very thin layer onto the skin which is affected.
- Keep this on for 15minutes or so and then you simply wash it off.
Make Use of Aloe Vera and Potatoes
Both of these are really good in soothing skin which is irritating. It also helps to combat what we call chafed skin.
The best way to make use of aloe vera is to use it like a lotion. This means you rub it into your skin directly and then leave it on your skin,
Potatoes are also really good when it comes to controlling the appearance of dark spots on the skin.
You can also make use of a simple way of slicing these potatoes and then rubbing on the insides of your thighs.
You will then just wash off the area.
Creams and Ointments
Try different OTC products.
They are known to be helpful.
This you will make use of in the form of creams, rubs and even ointments.
It is majorly effective in helping to reduce the way your dark skin looks like.
When choosing an ointment, look into the following ingredients and ensure that you have them applied to get the best results:
- Ellagic acid
- Lignin peroxidase
- Soy which will act as a moisturizer
So now we know how to control the way our inner thighs look. Hyperpigmentation causes the darkening of the inner thighs.
While this condition is not harmful, it is also not pleasant to look at.
I shared the various causes of the condition as well as ways to prevent it from happening.
We also talked about the various home remedies that are known to help.
But before you go on and apply any kind of treatment, it is always best that you first take the advise of your dermatologist to know how safe it really is.
They will guide you better.
But known this- when you maintain a healthy weight and don’t have to worry about chafing, as well as avoid strong sun exposure and by keeping a good skincare, all these simple tips can help you to get amazing skin and reduce the effects of hyperpigmentation.