Have you ever felt the sensation ‘ringing in ears’?
This is a phenomenon many go through in which you will be feeling a sensation of noises in one or both of your ears.
But while there may be different reasons as to why this may be happening, when it is not due to an external sound source then it means it is coming from within. This is when you have a condition called tinnitus.
It is also something which only you can hear. But the thing is you don’t have to worry too much about it.
Tinnitus is something which is very common.
This likely affects many people. It is going to happen to around 20% of the people out there. And it is most common in older adults.
In most cases, it happens so because you are suffering from an underlying condition. And it will be most likely due to age-related hearing loss problems.
We will talking about all that you need to know when it comes to tinnitus, symptoms, causes and some effective treatment.
What is Tinnitus?
This is ringing in ears. It is when you hear something like a buzzing or hissing in the ears. Sometimes the sound is like chirping or even a whistling.
The noise can be continuous or you can hear it as on/off . Sometimes it is very loud and other times, you will be feeling it as a small sound element in the background.
But it is around you. You will be aware of its existence even when you are falling asleep.
In some cases, it will be also coming in relation to the sound beats of your heart.
It is actually a very common condition. It affects many people around the world.
The problem with this condition is that it impacts and interferes with your daily routine. More so in some cases as compared to others. This can become even worse as it can interfere with how you conduct daily chores and activities.
When you know it is causing you psychological distress then you need to get some medical treatment done.
Does It Cause Hearing Loss?
One of the most common questions people often ask and get confused about is whether this condition is causing any hearing loss.
While some symptoms may relate, the fact is it does not cause you hearing loss.
In fact anyone suffering from tinnitus may be having majorly just ringing in ears.
And with time, this will get worse.
In some rare cases, you will be also becoming very sensitive to sounds. And in order to do so, you will have to muffle or look into how you can mask external noises.
Most of these cases can happen due to the fact that you have infections or blockages happening in the ear.
Also when it comes to getting a treatment done, it will eventually disappear once treatment is complete.
You will be able to see results when you adapt both conventional as well as alternative therapies and treatment.
Now lets look into what are the leading causes of tinnitus.
What is Causing Tinnitus?
One of the major reasons why someone may be suffering from a ringing in ears is because for a long time, they have been listening to loud sounds for a very long time.
Did you know that 90% of people will be having tinnitus because they are suffering from hearing loss.
The sound when hitting the ear drums for a long time will be causing major damage.
This is especially in the case of people who are carpenters, pilots, street-repairers, landscapers, among others.
Some cases are such that even a single but a very fast and quick exposure to loud noise can cause you to suffer from tinnitus.
Other Relating Issues
Now lets look into some of the most common conditions and illnesses which will be leading to you suffering from tinnitus. This includes:
- Having a blockage in your ears. This is mainly due to ear wax. Having an ear infection is another reason. Also in some cases, you will also likely have a benign tumor that impacts your hearing even more.
- Sometimes medications can cause an impact. This is usually in the case of aspirin, different kinds of antibiotics. Even antidepressants and medications of other kinds have this condition as a side effect to it.
- It is also something you are likely to suffer from in the event of going through the natural aging process.
- This is most likely in the case of having a deterioration in the ears.
- Neck and jaw problems, including TMJ is also a common condition which is known to cause tinnitus.
- There can also be certain injuries to the head and neck. If these are not catered to in a timely manner, you can most likely have issues which includes a constant ringing in the ears.
- The condition is typically worse in cases where people drink too much, smoke heavy cigarettes and also are eating certain kinds of foods which have plenty of side effects.
So when it comes to having ringing in ears, the following are some of the most common factors which can trigger and even make this condition worse. They include:
- Being exposed to loud noise exposure may cause you to suffer from this condition. People who work in noisy environments are most likely to suffer from this condition.
- It is best that you see what is causing it to happen in your family.
- Sometimes age can be a leading cause. As you age, the functioning nerve in the fibers of the ear start to decline and this will make you suffer from more of hearing problems.
- Gender matters too- men are more likely to suffer from ringing in ears as compared to women.
- If you have various health conditions, they can cause you to suffer from this condition as well.
Now let’s move onto how to treat this condition.
Treatment of Tinnitus
When talking of tinnitus treatment, you first need to know what is causing the ringing in ears. There can be a range of causes for the same.
If it is because of some medication then your doctor will likely change that for you.
In some cases, it can be due to some underlying health condition. Hence it is important that you get a proper diagnosis.
Whereas sometimes the ringing can get better on its own and you don’t need to have some major treatments done on it.
But again, it all comes down to knowing and analyzing the condition. Having a proper diagnosis is key for getting the proper treatment.
Other Treatment Options
Treatment options which are common and also very effective, include:
Using Hearing Aids
This is the most common solution. These are devices which are used by many aged people. They help in combating any hearing loss issues you may be suffering from.
They make the sounds you hear louder. And when that happens, you will not be hearing the ringing louder.
These are yet another important and popular method of combating ringing in ears. It is a device which is used to actually create white noise.
This will help in blocking the constant internal sounds.
You can also make use of a white noise machine. It is also really good when you are trying to sleep at night.
This is basically a way in which you are able to control and hold off counseling as well wearing a gadget which will be masking the ringing as well with tonal music.
Also you can invest in certain relaxation techniques which include simple exercising, as well as deep breathing and even biofeedback.
Using certain medications can also make an impact on your health. It is imperative that you work onto ways in which you will be taking medicines and how they affect your health.
If you notice ringing in ears after taking in certain medications then you should consult your doctor and make sure to talk about this side-effect so to get a complete treatment overview.
Consulting a Doctor
Now lets look into how you can learn more about tinnitus and how you can talk to your doctor about it.
It can become overwhelming for some people but you can ask these basic questions and feel better. These are:
- What’s causing my tinnitus?
- Is it something I should worry about?
- Will it go away on its own or what treatment should I seek?
- Are other people hearing the same noise?
- Is it going to cause me to suffer from hearing loss?
Your doctor will guide you through these very questions and look into giving some basic and simple solutions.
Ringing in ears is more so common than you would think. It is not something to worry about. In this article we looked into and spoke in great detail about the symptoms, what are the causes of ringing in ears and ways to have it properly treated. There are also some common risk factors which allow you to analyze the condition in a much better way.