Have you ever heard of a condition where there is a learning difficulty?
This causes impairment of one’s ability to be able to grasp the simple concept of learning and writing.
This post is all about understanding dyslexia.
It is actually quite a common condition and it is called a neurological condition. However it is also important to know it has no relation to intelligence.
But it is still a common condition and having an early diagnosis, is essential.
We will cover all that is needed to know about dyslexia. When you have all the information you need about a condition, you can form a better analysis of how to go about it.
So let’s begin:
What is Dyslexia?
This is a condition that has been around for ages. It basically relates to the way your brain reacts to written materials.
Do not assume it is the same for all kinds of people. That is not true actually.
Every person has a different manner to process information.
Some can do it easily while others cannot.
This is natural. But this doesn’t have to be difficult.
Those with dyslexia can still manage better lives.
It is a complex condition in which you cannot recognize, spell or even make sense out of simple words. So let’s move on to understanding dyslexia even better:
Understanding Dyslexia Effects on Body and Mind
It is just a neurological concern and the intensity of which can actually vary from one person to another.
One thing you should know is that this begins common in family members.
People also incorrectly assume that this situation comes up when you are not good in teaching or have failed in proper upbringing . It has also got nothing to do with the fetal health and development.
But that is a major conception that I want to clear.
Dyslexia does not depend on how you are brought up. It just naturally comes in some over others.
Whatever the state, it is something which you can manage well and even learn to live with it.
Now I want to kick into how is this the proper diagnosis done for it:
Diagnosis of Dyslexia:
When it comes to the diagnosis, it is usually when you are a child or very young.
Adults getting a diagnosis means that they have had it for a long time, ever since they were little.
But the only condition why they may get it in adulthood is if they have recently suffered from a brain injury.
A simple rule is- the earlier the diagnosis the better. This means if you sense your child is finding problems in learning, it may b more to it than just being poor in studies.
You can also take help from the school to get a proper diagnosis.
Also an early diagnosis can also help to create a strong and effective management system.
So when you seek help from a professional, the following major areas will be analyzed to see how far along are you in this state, so to create a strong treatment plan:
- Firstly, the background and earlier information like family history and early development stages to understand the situation better is done
- Intelligence level help to see how the situation is unfolding
- Oral language analysis is also a good option
- Fluency skills is also great to measure
- One major way in which the level of diagnosis is seeing how the decoding is put into effect. This means the ability to understand and read new words
- Also a new way in which specialists are understanding the state of dyslexia is by making use of phonological processing. This is a form of processing and understanding on which the brain is able to process the sounds
So now that you have a good understanding of the diagnosis, let’s now look into the major symptoms that are associating to this condition:
Symptoms of Dyslexia
There is a major factor relating to dyslexia- the majority of the symptoms actually appear in the early years.
It is in your childhood when you show the symptoms, which pose as certain challenges that make your ability to manage learning and teaching better.
- One of the major things you will face is that it begins hard to complete simple development milestones like crawling, walking or riding a bicycle even
- Another common challenge you may face if suffering from dyslexia is that it begins hard to make simple words even. Learning to speak poses more difficulties than your peers
- Aside from not being able to speak well, you will also suffer from a condition in which you will be mispronouncing certain words
- You will suffer from not being able to distinguish between the different word sounds
- Learning to write isn’t your only dilemma, you will also have problems when it comes to learning to read. This issue can kickstart as early as preschool.
- Watch out for the signs. A child will be struggling harder than peers when it comes to understanding grammar. Reading basic comprehension becomes a major struggle.
- Sentence structure does not make sense. And in-depth writing also becomes tiring and extremely difficult to comprehend
- Coordination falls flat. This means you will not be able to fall into the same coordination levels as your peers
Added Dilemma To Curb
- Simple tactics like being able to catch the ball also becomes a struggle
- Having problem with sets of data- from being able to remember the alphabets in proper order to being able to pronounce them in a proper way is also a major concern.
- Those with dyslexia will also struggle to remember simple information like days of the week, months of the year, colors, food groups and other simple sets of data
- Concentration becomes harder to manage. Even simple tasks which require simple concentration becomes harder to manage, this includes the ability to read and write
- Idea Management- this is quite important in understanding dyslexia. You will not be able understand how your peers are bringing their ideas together. And will also feel that your way of explaining is not understandable to others. Despite how hard you try.
So there you have it.
We have talked about the diagnosis as well as the symptoms.
These factors will better allow you to understand your situation and get a better handle on how to manage dyslexia better.
Now we will talk about it:
How to Manage Dyslexia Better:
First of all let me just say it as it is- there is no known cure to dyslexia.
But with a better understanding of this condition and how different people react to it, it is becoming easier to manage it better.
Now we know how each person gets affected in a different way to the condition.
Many are now able to manage their life better when knowing what to expect.
So it is great to be able to get a diagnosis at an early stage. It allows the management of dyslexia in a better manner.
This means the following is done in a more stronger manner:
- Learning tools adaption: those who have been suffering from dyslexia can benefit in major ways when it comes to making use of certain tools which have a stronghold on senses of touch, vision as well as hearing.
- Child development through play has been proven to be quite effective too in the manner
- It is also effective if you can get some counselling done which includes being able to manage someone’s self-esteem.
- Having open conversations are also great.
- They allow those with dyslexia to be able to use better expressions. Talk it out.
- Being able to be present in the moment has always been very effective.
- Ongoing evaluation: you will come to understand the situation and how it is progressing in a better way when you can continually analyze and evaluate the situation.
- Creating copying strategies is also effective. It allows for you to see what conditions work better for you and in what way you can cope better.
Types of Dyslexia
So what kinds of dyslexia exist out there. Researchers have been able to identify quite a few types. These include:
This kind deals specifically with breaking down big words and big sentence structures into simpler units. It is more or less focusing on your ability to write better.
This is relating to your ability to be able to speak simple words and to be able to create simple words together.
Rapid naming deficit
This is quite a common type of dyslexia in which your ability falls flat when it comes to naming letters and numbers.
Understanding dyslexia is not that hard. It is a condition which may cause you simple concerns but it can still be managed well.
It is basically relating to your reading and writing capabilities.
There are different kinds of dyslexia and every person manages it differently.
Not two people will suffer from the exact same kind of symptoms and don’t have to go through the same kind of diagnosis procedure. This neurological condition has been gaining quite the momentum and having an early diagnosis helps you to be able to manage the condition effectively from an early age.
This article was all about better understanding the condition and managing it effectively.